The Temporary or short term health insurance providers plan serve the purpose of bridging a brief lapse in your health coverage. Designed for individuals ineligible for group health insurance, these plans offer essential benefits at a budget-friendly rate.
But first, knowing the the types, benefits, and coverage of an Insurance you want to apply for is very important. With that in mind, then What is Insurance?
Insurance is a financial arrangement or contract between an individual or entity (policyholder) and an insurance company. In exchange for the payment of premiums, the insurance company agrees to provide financial protection and coverage against specified risks, losses, or damages. The purpose of insurance is to mitigate the financial impact of unforeseen events, such as accidents, illnesses, property damage, or other risks covered by the policy. In the event of a covered loss, the insurance company compensates the policyholder or beneficiaries according to the terms and conditions outlined in the insurance policy. This arrangement helps individuals and businesses manage and transfer risks, providing a sense of financial security and stability.
Normally, short-term health insurance plans come with lower premiums, but they lack the extensive coverage provided by regular health insurance plans. This limitation may result in substantial out-of-pocket costs in the event of medical needs. In this blog post, I’ll highlight the top 5 providers of short-term health insurance to help you make a better choice for your needs. Before you continue, take a look at the “Facts on Insurance” as they contain the things to know on Insurance and its services.
Top 5 Best Short-Term Health Insurance Providers in United States for low income Earners
1. Pivot Health
Pivot Health stands out as a premier short-term health insurance provider, offering compelling benefits such as discounts on prescription drugs and substantial savings ranging from 15% to 30% on frames, contact lenses, and eye exams.
Deductibles are flexible, spanning from $1,000 to $10,000, complemented by maximum annual limits ranging from $100,000 to an impressive million dollars. Co-insurance out-of-pocket costs vary from $3,000 to $10,000.
It’s essential to note some exclusions, including pre-existing conditions, routine physical exams, immunizations, and injuries resulting from extreme sports. Pivot Health distinguishes itself by providing online tools to help users prioritize their insurance needs, and it offers a diverse array of features for comprehensive coverage.
Advantages of Using Pivot Health Insurance
Pivot Health, contribute to supporting people with financial constraints:
- Affordable Premiums and Plans: Pivot Health, like many insurers, offer plans with lower premiums that can be more accessible for individuals with limited financial resources.
- Flexible Payment Options: Some health insurance providers, including Pivot Health, may provide flexible payment options or assistance programs to help individuals manage the cost of their insurance.
- Community Outreach and Education: Pivot Health Insurance engage in community outreach and education programs to raise awareness about available health insurance options and financial assistance programs.
- Telehealth Services: Pivot Health offer telehealth services as part of its plans, providing a cost-effective and convenient way for individuals, including those with financial limitations, to access healthcare.
- Government Programs Collaboration: Insurance providers collaborate with government programs like Medicaid or CHIP to extend coverage to low-income individuals and families.
2. Everest Flex Term
Everest Flex Term not only stands out for its affordability but also offers a comprehensive array of coverage options to cater to diverse healthcare needs. The flexibility in deductibles ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 allows individuals to tailor their plans to align with their budgetary considerations.
For co-insurance, Everest Flex Term provides flexibility, with options spanning from 0% to 50%, while ensuring a substantial maximum coverage limit of up to $1.5 million. Those willing to invest in a higher premium can benefit from reduced out-of-pocket costs, including lower co-insurance and deductible amounts.
Applicants aged 18 to 64 can easily apply for health insurance with Everest, making it accessible to a broad demographic. The policy’s typical coverage duration extends up to a year, and notably, individuals have the freedom to cancel at any time without facing penalties, providing added flexibility.
Typically, Everest Flex Term goes beyond the basics, covering a range of medical services, including sickness and wellness visits, both inpatient and outpatient care, hospital and emergency room services, transplant benefits, and essential laboratory and X-ray diagnostics. This comprehensive coverage ensures that policyholders have access to vital healthcare services when needed, promoting both preventive and reactive healthcare measures.
Advantages of Everest Flex Term Insurance
The Everest Flex Term insurance plan offers several advantages for individuals seeking coverage:
- Affordability: Everest Flex Term is known for providing cost-effective health insurance plans, making it an attractive option for individuals looking to manage their healthcare expenses efficiently.
- Diverse Coverage Options: The plan offers a wide array of coverage options, allowing individuals to choose a plan that aligns with their specific healthcare needs. This flexibility ensures that policyholders can tailor their coverage to suit their requirements.
- Flexible Deductibles: Everest Flex Term provides flexibility in choosing deductibles, ranging from $1,000 to $10,000. This allows policyholders to customize their plans based on their financial capabilities and preferences.
- Co-insurance Options: The plan offers co-insurance options ranging from 0% to 50%, giving individuals the ability to balance premiums and out-of-pocket costs according to their preferences and financial situation.
- Generous Maximum Coverage Limits: With a maximum coverage limit of up to $1.5 million, Everest Flex Term provides substantial financial protection, ensuring that policyholders have coverage for a significant portion of their medical expenses.
- Accessibility: The plan is available for individuals aged 18 to 64, making it accessible to a broad demographic range. This inclusivity allows a diverse group of individuals to benefit from the coverage offered by Everest Flex Term.
- Cancellation Flexibility: Policyholders have the flexibility to cancel their coverage at any time without incurring penalties. This feature provides individuals with the freedom to adjust their insurance plans based on changing circumstances.
- Comprehensive Coverage: Everest Flex Term covers a range of essential medical services, including sickness and wellness visits, inpatient and outpatient care, hospital and emergency room services, transplant benefits, and crucial laboratory and X-ray diagnostics.
3. United Healthcare
If you’re working with a tight budget, the Value plan from this health insurance provider offers a cost-effective solution with lower monthly premiums. This plan features a 30% co-insurance rate and a capped out-of-pocket maximum set at $10,000.
Notably, the health insurance company has been a key player in the industry for over 30 years, showcasing its reliability and experience. Its services extend across 25 states, providing a considerable reach for individuals seeking short-term health insurance coverage.
United Healthcare, through its TriTerm Medical Insurance, provides a range of insurance policies, including extended options spanning from 1 to 12 months. Moreover, policyholders have the flexibility to renew their coverage for up to 36 months, offering a longer-term solution for their healthcare needs.
The policies come with the added benefit of network coverage, boasting access to over 1.5 million physicians and an extensive network of more than 7,000 hospitals and medical facilities. It’s important to note that certain policies may have specific waiting periods, impacting the activation of coverage.
Additionally, United Healthcare offers various preventative care options, and for those opting for the copay select plan, a $50 copay is included. The insurance coverage extends to prescription medications, and there’s limited coverage for rehabilitation, home health care, and hospice services.
Before choosing a plan, you are are encouraged to thoroughly review the policy details, including any waiting periods, coverage limitations, and specific terms.
More about United Health Care in United States
In addition to the affordability of the Value plan, UnitedHealthcare’s extensive experience in the health insurance industry lends a sense of trust and reliability. With a track record spanning over 30 years, the company has established itself as a longstanding and reputable provider, offering assurance to individuals seeking coverage.
The geographical reach of this health insurance company is noteworthy, as it operates in 25 states. This broad availability enhances accessibility for a diverse range of individuals seeking short-term health insurance solutions.
TriTerm Medical Insurance, offered by UnitedHealthcare, introduces flexibility through its extended policies, ranging from 1 to 12 months. The option to renew coverage for up to 36 months provides individuals with a stable and potentially long-term healthcare solution.
One distinctive feature of UnitedHealthcare’s policies is the extensive network coverage, encompassing over 1.5 million physicians and a network of more than 7,000 hospitals and medical facilities. While this ensures a wide range of healthcare options, it’s important to be aware of specific waiting periods that may be associated with certain policies.
Moreover, the inclusion of preventative care options and the copay select plan, which features a $50 copay, add value to the overall coverage. UnitedHealthcare goes beyond basic health insurance by providing prescription coverage and limited benefits for rehabilitation, home health care, and hospice services.
Advantages of United Healthcare
UnitedHealthcare, particularly through its TriTerm Medical Insurance and Value plan, offers several advantages for people seeking short-term health insurance coverage:
- Affordability: The Value plan, with its lower monthly premiums, caters to individuals on a budget, providing a cost-effective solution for short-term health insurance needs.
- Experience and Reputation: With over 30 years of experience, UnitedHealthcare has established itself as a reputable and reliable health insurance provider. This longevity can instill confidence in individuals seeking coverage.
- Geographical Reach: Operating in 25 states, UnitedHealthcare’s coverage extends across a significant portion of the United States, enhancing accessibility for a diverse range of individuals.
- Flexible Policy Duration: The TriTerm Medical Insurance policies offer flexibility in duration, ranging from 1 to 12 months. Additionally, the option to renew coverage for up to 36 months provides individuals with a potential longer-term healthcare solution.
- Extensive Network: UnitedHealthcare boasts an extensive network, featuring over 1.5 million physicians and a wide array of hospitals and medical facilities. This ensures that policyholders have access to a diverse range of healthcare providers.
- Preventative Care Options: The inclusion of preventative care options in the policies emphasizes a proactive approach to healthcare, encouraging individuals to prioritize preventive measures.
- Copay Select Plan: For those opting for the copay select plan, which includes a $50 copay, there’s an added layer of convenience in managing healthcare costs.
- Prescription Coverage: UnitedHealthcare recognizes the importance of prescription medications and includes coverage as part of its insurance plans.
- Limited Coverage for Additional Services: The policies offer limited coverage for rehabilitation, home health care, and hospice services, providing a more comprehensive healthcare solution.
Prospective policyholders are advised to conduct a thorough review of the policy terms, conditions, and any exclusions. Understanding the waiting periods and limitations associated with coverage ensures that individuals can make informed decisions that align with their healthcare needs and financial constraints. For the latest and most accurate information, it’s recommended to consult the official resources provided by UnitedHealthcare.
4. Allstate Health Insurance
Allstate’s short-term health plans usually cost more than similar plans from other companies that offer the same coverage level.
Although there are less expensive plans, they often provide fewer benefits. The insurance uses the Aetna PPO network, which means you have a good selection of doctors to choose from.
Preventive care is usually covered, and if you need urgent care, the cost can be quite affordable. This is because you pay a lower rate, even if you haven’t reached your deductible yet.
Allstate’s short-term health insurance plans tend to be pricier compared to similar plans from other providers with equivalent coverage.
While there are more budget-friendly options available, these lower-cost plans often come with fewer benefits. It’s important to note that Allstate’s insurance plans utilize the Aetna PPO network, offering you a wide selection of doctors to choose from for your healthcare needs.
The coverage for preventive care is typically included in these plans, ensuring that routine check-ups and screenings are covered. Additionally, if you require urgent care, the costs can be quite affordable. Even if you haven’t reached your deductible, you’ll still pay a lower rate for urgent care appointments.
What are the advantages Allstate Health
Allstate’s short-term health insurance plans come with certain advantages:
- Broad Network Access: Allstate’s plans use the Aetna PPO network, providing policyholders with a wide range of options when it comes to choosing healthcare providers. This flexibility is advantageous for individuals who have preferred doctors or specialists.
- Coverage for Preventive Care: These plans typically include coverage for preventive care. This means that routine check-ups, screenings, and vaccinations may be covered, encouraging a proactive approach to maintaining good health.
- Affordable Urgent Care: If you need urgent care, Allstate’s plans offer affordability. Even if you haven’t reached your deductible, the costs for urgent care appointments are relatively lower. This feature can be beneficial for addressing immediate healthcare needs without incurring substantial out-of-pocket expenses.
5. National General Accident & Health
National General Accident & Health is a prominent insurance provider that offers short-term health insurance plans in the United States. They are known for providing short-term health insurance plans designed to offer temporary coverage for individuals in various situations.
National General offers short-term health insurance plans that cater to individuals who need temporary coverage. These plans are designed to bridge gaps in health insurance, making them suitable for those experiencing transitions, such as changes in employment or life circumstances.
The insurance provider typically offers a range of coverage options, allowing individuals to choose plans that align with their specific health needs and budget considerations. This flexibility enables policyholders to customize their coverage based on factors such as deductibles, coverage limits, and duration.
National General’s short-term health insurance plans are ideal for those who do not qualify for or do not have access to traditional long-term health insurance. These plans often provide coverage for essential medical services during the specified term.
Like many health insurance providers, National General may have a network of healthcare providers, allowing policyholders to access a broad range of doctors, hospitals, and medical facilities.
This Insurance company typically provide customer support to assist policyholders with inquiries, claims, and other insurance-related matters. National General is likely to offer customer support services to address the needs of its policyholders.
The advantages of National General Accident & Health
- Temporary Coverage: National General’s short-term health insurance plans provide temporary coverage, making them suitable for individuals in transition or those needing immediate coverage for a limited period.
- Customizable Options: The insurer typically offers a range of coverage options, allowing policyholders to tailor their plans to meet specific health needs and financial considerations. This flexibility can be advantageous for those seeking a personalized insurance solution.
- Quick Application Process: Short-term health insurance plans often have a relatively quick application and approval process. This can be beneficial for individuals who need coverage promptly, such as during a gap in employer-sponsored insurance.
- Bridge Coverage Gaps: These plans are designed to bridge temporary gaps in health insurance, providing a safety net for individuals experiencing changes in employment, waiting for employer benefits to start, or in other transitional periods.
- Access to Network Providers: National General Accident & Health likely has a network of healthcare providers, offering policyholders access to a broad range of doctors, hospitals, and medical facilities. This can be advantageous for those who prefer a wide choice of healthcare professionals.
- Financial Protection: Short-term health insurance plans can provide financial protection by covering essential medical services during the policy term. This can help mitigate out-of-pocket costs for covered treatments and services.
List of 20 Short-Term Health Insurance Providers
- Pivot Health
- National General Accident & Health
- Everest Insurance
- IHC Group
- Agile Health Insurance
- Independence American Insurance Company
- Companion Life Insurance Company
- LifeMap Assurance Company
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Health Alliance
- Health Net
- eHealthInsurance Services
- Golden Rule Insurance Company
- HCC Life Insurance Company
- Kaiser Permanente (in some states)
Finding the Best Short-Term Health Insurance For Your Needs
When in the process of selecting the best temporary health insurance, it’s beneficial to keep certain considerations in mind:
- Evaluate the Plan Network:
- If maintaining your current doctor or having a specific healthcare provider or hospital in mind is crucial, check whether they are included in the provider’s plan network.
- Assess Your Coverage Needs:
- Clearly understanding your coverage requirements simplifies the comparison of short-term health insurance plans.
- Compare Plan Details:
- Conduct a thorough comparison of various short-term plans, taking into account coverage, deductibles, costs, and exclusions to ensure they align with your healthcare needs.
- Understand Plan Limitations:
- Be aware that most short-term plans do not cover pre-existing medical conditions and may have differing exclusions. Understanding these limitations helps in making an informed decision.
- Research Insurance Companies:
- Investigate insurance providers by seeking reputable companies with positive customer reviews. Additionally, verify the financial strength ratings of the company, as this indicates their ability to fulfill claims reliably.
Taking these factors into consideration will empower you to identify the best temporary health insurance plan that suits your specific needs and preferences.
Frequently Asked Questions about Short-Term Health Insurance in Developed Countries
Who is Eligible to get Short-Term Health Insurance?
To apply for short-term coverage, residents in states offering temporary health insurance plans can submit their applications. Once you apply for short-term health insurance coverage, the application includes health-related questions designed to assess the insurance company’s risk in insuring you.
If your answers indicate the presence of existing health conditions, approval may not be granted. Upon approval for health insurance and the submission of a claim for health benefits, the insurance provider will scrutinize your health history. If they discover a pre-existing condition, the insurance company could deny your claim and terminate your policy.
What Does Short-Term Health Insurance Cover in the US?
Short-term health insurance plans, differs from federal laws, exhibit variability in coverage from one plan to another. These short-term health policies encompass preventive care, doctor’s office visits, urgent care services, and emergency room visits.
Make sure that you engage in a comprehensive comparison of short-term plans and meticulously peruse the policy. Understanding the specifics of what the short-term insurance covers is paramount, aiding you in finding a plan that aligns with your individual needs.
How to Qualify for Short-Term Health Insurance in the US?
Application for limited-duration plans is exclusive to residents in states that make them available. Additionally, eligibility for temporary health insurance coverage requires meeting specific medical qualifications.
While individuals applying for regular health insurance plans typically do so during open enrollment periods, the flexibility of short-term health coverage allows for application at any time, offering an option outside the constraints of specific enrollment periods.
How Much Does Short-Term Health Insurance Cost in the US?
The expense of your short-term health insurance hinges on various factors, including your age, the nature of services provided by the plan, and the coverage specifics you opt for, such as the deductible, overall policy coverage, and coinsurance.
Before purchasing a temporary health plan, it is crucial to carefully review the fine print. This ensures a comprehensive understanding of what is covered and what is not, enabling you to make an informed decision regarding your health coverage.